Endnotes (Works Cited)
- Napster Wildfire on News.com
- New York Times, various issues
(I used abstracts from the class listserv, because the website required me to sign up to see the actual issues)
- Secure Digital Music Initiative website (SDMI.org)
- Napster's Metallica disclosure
- Napster's RIAA lawsuit disclosure
- Digital Millenium Copyright Act Summary and Analysis by Jonathan Band
- Chipzone.com (info on mod chips)
- "Local Artists..." Seattle Times, May 17, 2000. Section D1.
Other Helpful Resources
...Backward to "The Future" Go Back to the Beginning...
- What is Copyright Protection?
A very good FAQ about copyright protection by a legal expert. Well designed.
- MP3 Rocks the Web
"A Wired News Collection". Stories from Wired magazine about MP3s and society.
I don't know how to find this program/engine. I have a feeling that it is still hiding underground. I have heard that the website changes often. Try searching in search engines for "gnutella", or check in the newsgroups.
- MP3 Search Engines
Our friends at About.com give us an explanation of MP3 search engines and how they work, along with links to several of the most useful.
- Daily Update MP3 Software
A huge collection of every imaginable MP3 player, plug-in, skin, or whatever. Very exhaustive, plus new files daily.
- Burn Baby Burn!
Info on CD burning by yours truly.
- Napster Digital Music Forum
Interact with others and discuss the MP3 controversy, plus get a few secret tips on how to avoid getting banned.
- Recording Industry Association of America website
Uncool but useful information.
- Intellectual Property Links
A bunch of links to info about information about intellectual property, including law info. From our friends at Berkeley.
- Reporting Piracy in the U.S.
Microsoft's Piracy Snitch page.